OUR FOCUS TOPIC-

If there's an advocacy topic you want to see discussed, or about which you wish to contribute, contact one of the blog administrators - see the list on the right side of this page. Lonely thinking changes nothing, sharing your thoughts may start a trend.

Saturday, July 24, 2010

YouTube, Facebook etc - now integral for Teaching and Learning

One of the most fascinating, and frightening things about teaching this generation of students is their ease with technology. They are different in their approach to information gathering. This difference has been discussed in many educational arenas, but I wanted to talk for just a moment about hitting the student where they live - Youtube, facebook and other social sites. Most folks of my generation prefer to think of tweets as a sound that a bird makes. We don't feel a need to be connected 24/7 to everyone in our lives and prefer a different way of communicating. Such is not the case with many of our students. At Stetson I've played with online resources to assist the students in becoming better, and that has worked to some degree. It has not been perfect. I am now working on the 2nd edition of my trial ad book, cutting the final edits. I mean the edits to the videos and podcasts, not the edits to the book, which is long done. Here is an example of the type of stuff I've been working on:




Now this video clip is the result of 3 days of shooting, editing, modifying, converting, powerpointing and just plain hard work - it is also an awful lot of of fun. I've even started a YouTube channel to distribute this stuff. You can view it at www.youtube.com/user/TRIALADVOCACY . Now where did I put that microphone?.....

No comments:

Post a Comment